Saturday, May 17, 2014

Food Diary to get me back on track

I am exhausted!! The past 10 weeks have certainly been productive, but they have definitely drained me. Don't get me wrong, the pretty intense course load has taken it out of me, but I do have a sneaking suspicion that the recent downhill slide of my diet is also starting to contribute. I have really notice some major energy slumps and some wicked sugar cravings in the past week!

So why the food diary? I will admit that I am doing it more for selfish reasons as opposed to writing something for my readers, but I know that I personally find it quite inspiring reading about what others eat, so hopefully you do too. Basically for about the past month, every Sunday as I sit on my third cup of coffee and sneak those extra pieces of chocolate, I tell myself that I am going to eat better the next week. Then as the week goes on and I get more and more tired I start eating more sugar and packaged foods. Bit of a vicious cycle really.

So continue checking in on this post over the week, as I will keep updating it with some photos and info on what I have been eating, drinking and doing for exercise. Also, to keep me in check, I would love for you guys to send me suggestions, either on here or on Facebook, about some fantastic real foods that I could try.

Monday




Breakfast: Cinnamon and Apple Porridge with coconut and almond milk. Half piece of toast with peanut butter.

Lunch:Pastrami and egg filled roll, celery sticks with hummus and an apricot and pumpkin seed bliss ball.

Dinner: Veggie and cheese pasta bake, garlic bread and a big salad. Two piece 75% chocolate for dessert.

Snacks: Wholemeal Date Scone with peanut butter and 2 mandarins for morning tea. Piece of grainy bread with peanut butter for afternoon tea.

Drinks: Earl Grey Tea with breakfast, caffeine-free coffee substitute for morning tea, peppermint tea with lunch and after dinner and a healthy homemade hot chocolate in the afternoon (recipe up soon!) <---- a="" been="" drink="" have="" hot="" i="" kick="" on="" p="" seem="" to="" today="">
Exercise: I decided since I was feeling a little tired to start off with something a bit lighter and shorter, so I did this Bikini Belly Blaster video from Popsugar.

A further update on today, I went and saw a naturopath. The stress of this year seems to be getting to me a little bit, with hormonal acne really playing up and often feeling really tired when waking up, even after a good 8 hours. She has made a couple of really useful suggestions for me:
- We have switched up my supplements to include B vitamins which are often depleted through stress and using a powdered zinc supplement instead of a tablet form. I am also going to be taking pro-biotics for the next month just to get the good gut bacteria operating properly.
- I need to try and up my lunchtime protein to help avoid that 3pm slump.
- I should try and include 3 servings of fish like salmon in my week. Come at me salmon recipes!
- And I should probably cut back on the soda water as the carbonation affects long term bone health (sob!). Perhaps it can be a once a week treat for me.

So far I am feeling pretty positive about this all. I definitely like the naturopathic approach to try and correct the cause and not just treat the symptoms. While it is a bit pricier than the doctors, if I think about what I could spend on doctors visits, facials and skincare products to correct the acne etc. it probably works out better. Also, can you really put a price on good health?

Tuesday


Breakfast: Porridge with almond milk and homemade (refined sugar free) granola

Lunch: Lentil-based soup (protein in there), piece of cheese on toast, baby carrots, wholemeal scone with peanut butter and 2 pieces 75% chocolate.

Post-lunch thought- It has been a pretty carb-heavy kind of morning, so this afternoon/evening I will definitely need to balance it out with some protein and healthy fats.

Dinner: Hungry Male had done an exceptional job in his hunter role and had gone out fishing, so we had some delicious pan fried blue cod with coleslaw and a few homemade potato wedges. For dessert I had half a mini lemon meringue pie from the I Quit Sugar Cookbook.

Snacks: Refined sugar free banana muffin and an apple (I need to add a bit more to breakfast as I was hungry at 10am).

For an afternoon snack before work I had a greek yoghurt bowl with almonds, sunflower seeds and a few chocolate chips. (I haven't had one of these in ages and had forgotten how much I loved them!) At the end of work I had a raspberry wafer cracker.

Drinks: Lemon squeezed into warm water before breakfast (naturopath recommendation), Decaf plunger coffee with morning tea, Earl grey tea with lunch, coffee in the afternoon at work.

Exercise: I did 3 blogilates videos: The legs for days video, the Gentleman challenge, and the applause arms workout.

So overall I think that I have done a pretty good job avoiding too much caffeine and refined sugars. The only refined sugar came from the few pieces of dark chocolate and the wafer cracker. Woohoo!

Wednesday


Breakfast: Apple and Raisin Porridge. A piece of rye and walnut toast with peanut butter.

Lunch: Pretty much the same as yesterday although with my soup I had half a cheese bun and a small piece of rye and walnut bread. With lunch I had a pear and  little bit of an easter egg.

Dinner: Mexican black beans with a wholegrain tortilla, avocado, a big salad and some brocolli (yum!!). For dessert I had a homemade mini sticky date pudding with some greek yoghurt.

Snacks: A pottle of greek yoghurt with a sugar-free banana muffin crumbled on top for morning tea. In the afternoon I did quick a bit of picking at things like nuts, brown rice crackers, a piece of chocolate and some homemade kettle corn (not such a good sit down and eat snack, oops)

Drinks: Hot water and lemon before breakfast, a decaf coffee after breakfast and lunch, and an earl grey tea in the afternoon.

Exercise: 15 minutes yoga before breakfast

Thursday
Breakfast: Porridge with almond milk, chopped almonds, banana and honey. A piece of wholegrain toast with peanut butter.

Lunch: Erm I kinds managed to mess up my eating patterns. I had a Flat White that was probably closer to a Cappucino that pretty well filled me up, meaning I wasn't in the mood to eat my lunch.

Dinner: A beef and capsicum curry with rice and steamed cabbage. I also had a piece of date slice.

Snacks: Strangely around 3pm, despite not having a big lunch I was only peckish. I had a sugar free banana muffin and some homemade kettle corn.

After dinner I went to supervise a test in at uni until 8. After this not having a proper lunch really seemed to hit me. I had the chicken, veggie and pesto sandwich that I had made for lunch, and apple and some chocolate.

Drinks: Hot water with lemon before breakfast. Cup of tea with breakfast. Tea after dinner.

Exercise: I was out and about all day so I just took a day off.

Friday
Breakfast: Porridge with almond milk and some comb honey. Piece of toast with peanut butter.

Lunch: Tuna and tomato melts, a pear and 2 pieces 75% chocolate.

Dinner: Lentil and Sausage casserole served on Polenta with broccoli and cauli on the side.

Snacks: I was starving at 10! (Note to self I need to have a more substantial porridge to keep me going). I had an apple and some homemade kettle corn. In the afternoon I went into town with mum and we halved a lemon and poppyseed muffin.

Drinks: Hot water with lemon before breakfast and a decaf coffee after. A cup of tea at morning tea time and a flat white in the afternoon.

Exercise: I got out for a run!! I haven't been running in weeks!

Saturday



Breakfast: Piece of toast with peanut butter, bowl of muesli with almond milk.

Lunch: Open faced sandwiches. One was peanut butter and banana and the other was hummus, cheese and tomato.

Dinner: Before dinner we went out for drinks and nibbles as part of a family celebration. We had some bread and dips and an antipasto platter. We then shared a couple of desserts between 7 of us so I had a mouthful of each. Dinner was very small after this! Just a tiny piece of steak and some salad.

Snacks: I picked at a few things throughout the morning like a bite from hungry male's raspberry slice and a handful of peanuts. I also had a few crackers in the afternoon.

Drinks: Flat white at the farmers market. A cup of tea with lunch and in the afternoon. A glass of sauvignon blanc when I was out with the family. Peppermint tea after dinner.

Exercise: Just incidental exercise today, like walking around the farmers market.

Sunday
Breakfast: A Gordon Ramsay baked oatmeal with hazelnuts, pear and raisins (yum!)

Lunch: A rye sandwich with chutney, chicken breast and tomato. I also had an apricot yoghurt cookie.

Dinner: Steak, salad and some pan-fried potatoes.

Snacks: An apple in the morning. A piece of rye bread with peanut butter and a handful of doritos in the afternoon.

Drinks: Cup of tea with breakfast, 2 coffees (oops) and a glass of red wine.

Exercise: The weather was horrible so I stayed in a relaxed!!


So overall I think I did pretty well at trying to reduce sugar intake and caffeine. I have been reading the I Quit Sugar books and I definitely think that I could do better in this area. My aim this week if to try and swap sweet things like chocolate after meals for something savoury like a small piece of cheese.

While I still had a coffee almost everyday, I think the biggest difference was that I didn't feel like I HAD to have one to get through the next few hours. That may also have been something to do with me having a slightly lighter workload at the moment for uni.

What are your views on my food diary? Any areas that you think I could improve in?

1 comment:

  1. Hi Libby,
    Your blog has caught our attention because of the quality of recipes.

    We would be delighted if you would join us at www.everyrecipe.com.au so that we could link to it. We send thousands of visitors to our blogs on a weekly basis.

    Everyrecipe is a search engine that compiles the best Australian cooking sites and blogs from the Internet. It is a part of an international cooking search engine MyTaste.com, which is now operating in 40 countries all over the world.

    To join Everyrecipe, just go to

    www.everyrecipe.com.au/add-your-food-blog

    Kind regards,
    Everyrecipe.com.au

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...